This American staple already has multiple variations, from using cheese to bacon to different spices. This is the basic version that uses only three ingredients—potato, milk, and butter. This side dish is best served along side fried chicken, roast chicken, steak, or any beef dish. Because potatoes and beef is a match made in culinary heaven.
750 grams (1.6 lbs.) potato (any variety you prefer)
¾ cup full cream milk
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
Salt and pepper
1. Peel and cut potatoes into quarters. Make sure that pieces are roughly the same size so they cook at the same time.
2. Put potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover the pieces. Let boil and cook until tender. This will take around 15 minutes. Use a fork to check potatoes’ tenderness. It should be tender yet firm. When the potatoes are done, drain from the pot.
4. Pour potatoes in a bowl and start mashing, using a masher or a fork. I mash it enough that it’s not too fine and still has small bits of potatoes.
5. Add in milk and butter. Combine well. Then season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve with gravy and enjoy!