Beef and mushrooms go well together. A plate sauteed mushrooms is a perfect side dish for a crusty and juicy steak. This recipe combines the two in one dish. It’s like the Russian stroganoff but instead of egg noodles this one’s served over a bed of creamy mashed potato or steaming white rice (we Filipinos, eat everything with rice).
750 grams (1.65 lbs) of beef sirloin
1 can button mushrooms (1 cup if using fresh)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups beef broth
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup whole milk
4 tbsp. soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1. Slice beef into thin bite size pieces. You can let the butcher do this. Then in a bowl, put in beef with soy sauce and minced garlic. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a pan, sear beef pieces over high heat. Set aside.
3. In the same pan saute onions for about two minutes. Then add seared beef with remaining marinade and garlic. Stir well. Pour in beef broth and simmer beef until tender. This will take about an hour to an hour and a half. The liquid will reduce, add water if necessary.
4. When the beef is tender, add in cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms. Then season with salt and pepper. Mix well. The soup will thicken sauce. Then add milk.
5. Let simmer for about five minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!