Kakiage is a type of tempura that uses various chopped vegetables and seafood. You cannot go wrong with the ingredients because you can use any type of vegetable and seafood you want. It really depends on your preferences. In this recipe I used only three types of vegetables, which makes it very cheap to make.
1 sweet potato
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup of chilled water
1 tbsp. extra all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine
¼ cup water
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. ginger root, grated
1. In a small saucepan, heat oil. If you have a deep fryer, preheat the oil.
2. Julienne vegetables, then mix together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Then dredge vegetables with one tbsp. of flour and cornstarch. Mix Well.
3. Mix batter. In a bowl, beat egg, add flour, and chilled water. I also season this with salt and pepper. Then pour into the bowl of mixed vegetable. Stir, until all vegetables are well coated.
4. Using a spoon, drop spoonfuls of vegetable mix into hot oil. Do not overcrowd and fry in batches. Drain extra oil on paper towels.
5. In a bowl, mix all sauce ingredients together until sugar melts. Adjust to taste. Serve alongside cooked kakiage and enjoy!