There are already several variations of this breakfast staple, but this version is very easy because it uses an instant mix. I know, instant anything is lazy, but adding a few premium ingredients to the mix elevates the cake to another level. This is quick, easy, and oh so delicious.
250 grams of instant pancake mix
50 grams of bittersweet chocolate chips (I used a block and chopped it into small pieces)
Chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
½ cup of whipping cream/topping (you can also use ready whipped cream)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Maple syrup or toffee
1. If you’re using store bought whipped cream, skip this part. Chill electric mixer bowl and whisks in the freezer for about 15 minutes. After chilling, put whipping cream/topping to the bowl with the vanilla extract and whip until the right consistency. You’ll know it’s ready when it forms stiff peaks (Using the whisk, dip it into the cream, pull and lift it, and turn it upside down. If the cream holds its shape [stiff peak] then it’s ready). Set aside.
2. Prepare instant pancake mix according to instructions. Mine required an egg, 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, and ¾ cup of water. Mix well.
3. Mix chopped bittersweet chocolate to the mixture. Combine well.
4. In a nonstick pan, put about a tsp. of vegetable oil. Set burner on low. Pour one ladle of pancake mix to the pan and immediately spoon in small globs of the chocolate hazelnut spread into the cooking batter. Then spoon a small amount of the pancake mixture over the exposed chocolate hazelnut spread until well covered. Flip when ready then repeat. Make sure to oil the pan constantly.
5. Spread unsalted butter immediately after removing the cake from the pan.
6. Serve with dollops of whipped cream. Shave chocolate over and drizzle with maple syrup or toffee. Enjoy!